SPECIAL EDITORIAL NOTE FROM SPORTS_NUT, 2/26/2011
.
Welcome to the retirement edition of Funny Sports Quotes.
.
The Funny Sports Quotes blog was created in 11/2007 after I could see I could become a blogger very easily using Google's 3-step process for creating a blog online.
.
For me, like most, work is not my idea of a fun experience, so I had to choose the topic that I would most enjoy pursuing and that, for me, was finding and posting funny sports quotes for entertaining and, in some cases, educating an audience on facets of sports even the most ardent sports fans may not have been aware of.
.
At the same time, I decided to compile a database of funny sports quotes that sports fans and quote fans could visit for "one-stop" shopping, thereby helping them to avoid the need to search elsewhere for sports quotes.
.
So, from 11/2007 until 2/2011. I have compiled quotes on the Funny Sports Quotes blog and its sister blog, FSQuotes, that is accessible only from the Funny Sports Quotes blog.
.
As of 2/26/2011, I believe I have achieved my objective first set in 11/2007, which signals for me the end of my funny sports quotes database project.
.
Kindly note that I have already made the last post (SI Swimsuit) to the blog, shut off further entries to Comments, and I will shut off the email address sports.quotes@gmail.com on 03/14/2011.
.
Also note that many features previously cited on this page have been removed, so that a bare-bones FSQ remains for your future reference.
.
I do hope that my venture was successful in bringing a smile to your face or a skip to your step, since that was all FSQ was created for, your entertainment and pleasure.
.
In closing, I wish you and yours, Godspeed!
.
=====================

Friday, February 29, 2008

FUNNY SPORTS QUOTES \ Source: archive.comlab.ox.ac.uk

Collection of Rowing Quotes

Weightless in water, swift as the wind,
Subtle of purpose - a feather blown -
I go with my oarsmen where they will,
My beautiful body and theirs all one.
- Mark Van Doren

To follow the drops
sliding from a lifting oar,
Head up, while the rower
breathes, and the small
boat drifts
quietly shoreward...
- Theodore Roethke ( The Shape of the Fire )

"Pull thy oar, all hands, pull thy oar,
till thou be stiff and red and sore..."
- Dr. Sydney Dangell

"You linger to see his back, and the back of his neck and shoulder-side...
The Bending forward and backward of the rowers..."
- Walt Whitman "I Sing the Body Electric"

I met a solid rowing friend and asked about the Race. "How fared it
with the wind," I said, "When stroke increased the pace?
You swung it forward mightily, you heaved it greatly back. "Your
muscles rose in knotted lumps, I almost heard the crack. "And
while we roared and rattled too, your eyes were fixed like glue.
"What thoughtwent flying through your mind, how fared it, Five, with
you?" But Five made answer solemnly, "I heard them fire a gun, "No
other mortal thing I heard until the Race was done." -R.C. Lehman

Faintly as tolls the evening chime,
Our voices keep tune and our oars keep time. -Thomas Moore

Rowing: a competitive sport of boats that are narrow.
(Great Soviet Encyclopaedia)

And all the way, to guide their chime,
With falling oars they kept their time. -Andrew Marvell

So we beat on, boats against the current,
borne back ceaselessly into the past. -F. Scott Fitzgerald (The Great Gatsby)

"Internally, you experience rowing as a graphic microcosm of life -
solitude, learning, work, rest, nourishment, sharing and ultimately
challenge." -Allen Rosenberg

"Rowing is more than a fast boat on race day. It's a complementary
experience to a young man's intellectual development..
Rowing, like success, is a journey, not a destination. I tell my
oarsmen to have fun, learn and, most of all, grow as individuals. The
wins the losses will take care of themselves."
-Rick Clother, Rowing Coach USNA

"Rowing is not like baseball, where you can arrive late, grab your
glove and run onto the field. For me, it was the discipline of having
to be at a given place at a given time, sometimes seven days week.
As time went on, that very discipline influenced other dimensions of
my life." -Frank Shields, Penn. '63

"On race day, there's tremendous anxiety. Leading up to the stake
boat, I distinctly remember saying to myself, `I can't wait 'till this
is over'." -Frank Shields

"In rowing as in life, there are competitors and there are racers. The
competitor works hard and rows to his limit. The racer does not
think of limits, only the race." -Jim Dietz, Rowing Coach, USCGA

"The most significant message I can convey to the rowing athlete
is: Just row the race. Think, about the process. Don't dwell on the
result until it's history." -Larry Gluckman, Varsity Heavyweight
Coach, Princeton University

"Rowing is a sport for dreamers. As long as you put in the work, you
can own the dream. When the work stops, the dream disappears."
-Jim Dietz, Rowing Coach, USCGA

"As a coxswain, I concentrated most on knowing the people in my
boat - why they were rowing, why they came down to the boathouse,
what made them tick. You have to know whether someone's rowing
because they love their mother and hate their father. They're not
sure they are proud of themselves; they want to be proud.
Determine some of that and you can tap the strongest parts of those
individuals. Being able to inspire someone, unexpected and in a way
new and fresh to them, is what made coxswaining special for me."
-Devin Mahoney, Coxswain, Varsity Heavyweight Eight, Harvard '86

Not everybody wins, and certainly not everybody wins all the time.
But once you get into your boat and push off, tie into your shoes and
bootstretchers, then "lean on the oars," you have indeed won far
more than those who have never tried. (Unknown)

Flatter me, and I may not believe you
Criticize me, and I may not like you
Ignore me, and I may not forgive you
Encourage me, and I may not forget you. -William Arthur Ward

"When one rows it is not the rowing which moves the ship:
rowing is only a magical ceremony by means of which one
compels a demon to move the ship." -Nietzsche

_____________________________________________________________
Free email, web pages, news, entertainment, weather and MORE!
Check out -------------------------------> http://wowmail.com

No comments: