SPECIAL EDITORIAL NOTE FROM SPORTS_NUT, 2/26/2011
.
Welcome to the retirement edition of Funny Sports Quotes.
.
The Funny Sports Quotes blog was created in 11/2007 after I could see I could become a blogger very easily using Google's 3-step process for creating a blog online.
.
For me, like most, work is not my idea of a fun experience, so I had to choose the topic that I would most enjoy pursuing and that, for me, was finding and posting funny sports quotes for entertaining and, in some cases, educating an audience on facets of sports even the most ardent sports fans may not have been aware of.
.
At the same time, I decided to compile a database of funny sports quotes that sports fans and quote fans could visit for "one-stop" shopping, thereby helping them to avoid the need to search elsewhere for sports quotes.
.
So, from 11/2007 until 2/2011. I have compiled quotes on the Funny Sports Quotes blog and its sister blog, FSQuotes, that is accessible only from the Funny Sports Quotes blog.
.
As of 2/26/2011, I believe I have achieved my objective first set in 11/2007, which signals for me the end of my funny sports quotes database project.
.
Kindly note that I have already made the last post (SI Swimsuit) to the blog, shut off further entries to Comments, and I will shut off the email address sports.quotes@gmail.com on 03/14/2011.
.
Also note that many features previously cited on this page have been removed, so that a bare-bones FSQ remains for your future reference.
.
I do hope that my venture was successful in bringing a smile to your face or a skip to your step, since that was all FSQ was created for, your entertainment and pleasure.
.
In closing, I wish you and yours, Godspeed!
.
=====================

Sunday, June 1, 2008

FUNNY SPORTS QUOTES \ Source: network.nationalpost.com


2nd & Short: Of turkeys, catfish and other bizarre baseball trades

Posted: May 26, 2008, 9:00 AM by Sean Fitz-Gerald

The List

One weird trade inspires memories of some others. Last Tuesday, the Golden Baseball League, an eight-team circuit buried deep in the sport’s food chain, registered the following transaction:

“Calgary Vipers: Traded RHP John Odom to the Laredo Broncos of the United League for 10 Prairie Sticks Maple Bats, double-dipped black, 34-inch, C243 style.”Odom, who said he does not “really care,” can take comfort in the fact he is not alone on the list of bizarre baseball trades.

Some of our favourites:

5. On April 25, 1962, the Cleveland Indians sent catcher Harry Chiti to the New York Mets for cash and a player to be named later. That player arrived on June 15 — and it was Chiti.

4. In 1931, Chattanooga Lookouts owner Joe Engel traded shortstop Johnny Jones to Charlotte for a 25-pound turkey, which he reportedly had prepared for the local media, saying Charlotte “came out ahead on that deal — that turkey was tough.”

3. Pitcher Tim Fortugno joined the Milwaukee Brewers’ organization in 1989, when his minor-league team, the Reno Silver Sox, agreed to pull the trigger on a deal for US$2,500 — and 12 dozen baseballs.

2. Before they could pry pitcher Ken Krahenbuhl from the Pacific Suns in 1998, the Greenville Bluesmen had to agree to part with cash, a player and 10 pounds of Mississippi catfish.


1. In a move that alters the meaning of “fantasy baseball,” New York Yankees pitchers Fritz Peterson and Mike Kekich announced, in 1973, that they had traded not only their wives, but their children and pets. “We may have to call off Family Day,” general manager Lee MacPhail said.
==========================

Image (Black and White): nydailynews.com
Image (Color): static.baseballtoaster.com

No comments: