SPECIAL EDITORIAL NOTE FROM SPORTS_NUT, 2/26/2011
.
Welcome to the retirement edition of Funny Sports Quotes.
.
The Funny Sports Quotes blog was created in 11/2007 after I could see I could become a blogger very easily using Google's 3-step process for creating a blog online.
.
For me, like most, work is not my idea of a fun experience, so I had to choose the topic that I would most enjoy pursuing and that, for me, was finding and posting funny sports quotes for entertaining and, in some cases, educating an audience on facets of sports even the most ardent sports fans may not have been aware of.
.
At the same time, I decided to compile a database of funny sports quotes that sports fans and quote fans could visit for "one-stop" shopping, thereby helping them to avoid the need to search elsewhere for sports quotes.
.
So, from 11/2007 until 2/2011. I have compiled quotes on the Funny Sports Quotes blog and its sister blog, FSQuotes, that is accessible only from the Funny Sports Quotes blog.
.
As of 2/26/2011, I believe I have achieved my objective first set in 11/2007, which signals for me the end of my funny sports quotes database project.
.
Kindly note that I have already made the last post (SI Swimsuit) to the blog, shut off further entries to Comments, and I will shut off the email address sports.quotes@gmail.com on 03/14/2011.
.
Also note that many features previously cited on this page have been removed, so that a bare-bones FSQ remains for your future reference.
.
I do hope that my venture was successful in bringing a smile to your face or a skip to your step, since that was all FSQ was created for, your entertainment and pleasure.
.
In closing, I wish you and yours, Godspeed!
.
=====================

Saturday, June 14, 2008

FUNNY SPORTS QUOTES \ Source: collegecharlie.com

Image: z.about.com
.
COLLEGE FOOTBALL QUOTES
.
SOUTHERN FOOTBALL
Southerners are proud of
their football heritage, their schools, and their
teams. And they share a deep pride
that goes with being from the South.
George Mooney

The game of football is beginning to gain
a foothold in Knoxville.
Knoxville Journal, November 20, 1891


In six days, we defeated Texas A&M,
Tulane, and Mississippi. Our best asset
was a marvelous spirit generated
by stamina and fiber.
Henry Seibels, 1899
Seibels captained the University of the South's squad
that traveled 2,000 miles and defeated five teams in six days.

Southern football is not recognized or
respected. Boys, here's your chance
to change that forever.
Wallace Wade's pre-game remarks prior to Alabama's
20 - 19 victory over Washington in the 1926 Rose Bowl.

I'm from Ohio, but if I'd known when I was two what it was
like down South, I would have
crawled here on my hands and knees.
Frank Sinkwich, University of Georgia

Someone once said that in the South
there are three seasons:
football season
recruiting season and
spring pracice.
Bob Bell



============================


Always Remember that Goliath was
a 40-point favorite over little David.
Shug Jordan


Football changes and so do people.
The successful coach is the one who sets the
trend, not the one who follows it.
Bear Bryant

The worst thing a coach can do is stand pat and
think the things that worked yesterday
will win tomorrow. Intelligent changes must be made.
Johnny Vaught

I'm not too proud to change.
I like to win too much.
Bobby Bowden

I don't believe in miracles.
I beleive in character.
Pat Dye

Don't wait to be a great man.
Be a great boy.
Shug Jordan

I want players to think as positively as the
85-year-old man who married a 25-year-old woman
and bought a five-bedroom house next to
the elementary school.
Charlie Pell

You can't be aggressive and
confused at the same time.
Darrell Royal

I can reach a kid who doesn't have
any ability as long as he doesn't know it.
Bear Bryant

Spectacular achievements are always
preceded by unspectacular preparation.
Roger Staubach

Proper conditioning is that fleeting moment
between getting ready and going stale.
Frank Thomas

First we will be best, then we will be first.
Lou Holtz

I'd rather face the lions in the coliseum
than the Tigers in Baton Rogue.
Bobby Dodd

Tennessee sophomores don't deserve citizenship
papers until they have survived an Alabama game.
General Robert Neyland


I had a lot of offers to go to other schools,
but I turned them all down. Clemson was the only place
I could bum chewing tobacco from the professors.
Frank Howard

I'd rather be on probation
then get beat by Furman.
Clemson Bumper Sticker

The definition of an atheist in Alabama is
someone who doesn't believe in Bear Bryant.
Wally Butts


Almost all games are lost by the losers,
not won by the winners.
General Robert Neyland

When they look back at that 9 - 1 season,
they don't ask who the nine were.
General Robert Neyland

FROM THE BEAR

I don't hire anyone not brighter than I am.
If they're not smarter than me, I don't need them.

I don't have any ideas; my coaches have them.
I just pass the ideas on and referee the arguments.

Every time a player goes out there,
at least 20 people have some amount of
influence on him. His mother has more
influence than anyone, I know because
I played, and I loved my mama.

In life, you'll have your back up against the
wall many times. You might as well get used to it.

I'm known as a recruiter. Well, you've got to
have chicken to make chicken salad.

Bear's three rules for coaching:
1. Surround yourself with people
who can't live without football.
2. Rocognize winners. They come
in all forms.
3. Have a plan for everything.

The first thing a football coach needs when
he's starting out is a wife who's willing to
put up with a lot of neglect.
The second thing is a five-year contract.

The alumni are starting to grumble, and
I'm the one starting it.

There ought to be a special place
in Heaven for coaches' wives.

When we have a good team, I know
it's because we have boys who
come from good mammas and poppas.

On game day, I'm as nervous
as a pig in a packing plant.
Darrell Royal


Football coaching is hard work.
It drains heavily on the physical, particularly
on the nerves. I believe that one should cease
this arduous service while still in good health.
Dan McGugin


When in doubt, Punt!
John Heisman



No comments: