SPECIAL EDITORIAL NOTE FROM SPORTS_NUT, 2/26/2011
.
Welcome to the retirement edition of Funny Sports Quotes.
.
The Funny Sports Quotes blog was created in 11/2007 after I could see I could become a blogger very easily using Google's 3-step process for creating a blog online.
.
For me, like most, work is not my idea of a fun experience, so I had to choose the topic that I would most enjoy pursuing and that, for me, was finding and posting funny sports quotes for entertaining and, in some cases, educating an audience on facets of sports even the most ardent sports fans may not have been aware of.
.
At the same time, I decided to compile a database of funny sports quotes that sports fans and quote fans could visit for "one-stop" shopping, thereby helping them to avoid the need to search elsewhere for sports quotes.
.
So, from 11/2007 until 2/2011. I have compiled quotes on the Funny Sports Quotes blog and its sister blog, FSQuotes, that is accessible only from the Funny Sports Quotes blog.
.
As of 2/26/2011, I believe I have achieved my objective first set in 11/2007, which signals for me the end of my funny sports quotes database project.
.
Kindly note that I have already made the last post (SI Swimsuit) to the blog, shut off further entries to Comments, and I will shut off the email address sports.quotes@gmail.com on 03/14/2011.
.
Also note that many features previously cited on this page have been removed, so that a bare-bones FSQ remains for your future reference.
.
I do hope that my venture was successful in bringing a smile to your face or a skip to your step, since that was all FSQ was created for, your entertainment and pleasure.
.
In closing, I wish you and yours, Godspeed!
.
=====================

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

FUNNY SPORTS QUOTES \ Source: sportsillustrated.cnn.com


PHIL JACKSON,
HEAD COACH,
LOS ANGELES
LAKERS
(PICTURED TOP LEFT)
.
JEFF VAN GUNDY,
EX-NBA HEAD COACH
(PICTURED LEFT)


SPORTS INSULTS


Trash Talking, Round 1: Phil Jackson vs. Jeff Van Gundy:
.
Their potshots began in the '90s when Jackson was with the Bulls and Van Gundy coached the Knicks.
.
Jackson dismissed his rival as "Jeff Van Gumby" and decried his fondness for overly physical defense. Van Gundy sneeringly called Jackson "Big Chief Triangle."
.
Their festivities continued in the first round of the 2004 Western Conference playoffs. After Jackson's Lakers survived a 72-71 Game 1 win, he felt Van Gundy's Rockets had gotten away with murder, calling the game a "mud-wrestling match.
.
I don't think it's benefiting to the NBA to have that style" - that style being "Jeff Van Gundy brutality."
.
Van Gundy shot back: "I don't have to look at the calendar to know it's spring going on summer with Phil complaining about the officiating. It's like a rite of passage."
.
Trash Talking, Round 2: Mike Milbury vs. Ziggy Palffy:
.
The ex-Isles GM/coach was a reliable source of colorful venom. During a protracted contract dispute with his star winger in 1998, Milbury remarked it was too bad that Palffy's agent lived in a city because "he's depriving some small village of a pretty good idiot. We hope that Ziggy will come to his senses. We have no hope Paul Kraus will."
.
Trash Talking, Round 3: George Steinbrenner vs. Jerry Reinsdorf:
.
The '80s were The Boss's golden age. Witness his "Mr. May" moniker for slugger Dave Winfield and his assault on the quirky Metrodome ("If I wanted my players to be ping-pong players, I would send them to China. What takes place in the Metrodome is not a ballgame, it's a circus.")
.
Among his sparring partners were White Sox co-owners Reinsdorf and Eddie Einhorn, whom The Boss called "a couple of pumpkins" and "the Katzenjammer Kids."
.
Reinsdorf got his licks in with a classic at the '83 All-Star Game: "How do you know when George Steinbrenner is lying? When his lips are moving."

No comments: