SPECIAL EDITORIAL NOTE FROM SPORTS_NUT, 2/26/2011
.
Welcome to the retirement edition of Funny Sports Quotes.
.
The Funny Sports Quotes blog was created in 11/2007 after I could see I could become a blogger very easily using Google's 3-step process for creating a blog online.
.
For me, like most, work is not my idea of a fun experience, so I had to choose the topic that I would most enjoy pursuing and that, for me, was finding and posting funny sports quotes for entertaining and, in some cases, educating an audience on facets of sports even the most ardent sports fans may not have been aware of.
.
At the same time, I decided to compile a database of funny sports quotes that sports fans and quote fans could visit for "one-stop" shopping, thereby helping them to avoid the need to search elsewhere for sports quotes.
.
So, from 11/2007 until 2/2011. I have compiled quotes on the Funny Sports Quotes blog and its sister blog, FSQuotes, that is accessible only from the Funny Sports Quotes blog.
.
As of 2/26/2011, I believe I have achieved my objective first set in 11/2007, which signals for me the end of my funny sports quotes database project.
.
Kindly note that I have already made the last post (SI Swimsuit) to the blog, shut off further entries to Comments, and I will shut off the email address sports.quotes@gmail.com on 03/14/2011.
.
Also note that many features previously cited on this page have been removed, so that a bare-bones FSQ remains for your future reference.
.
I do hope that my venture was successful in bringing a smile to your face or a skip to your step, since that was all FSQ was created for, your entertainment and pleasure.
.
In closing, I wish you and yours, Godspeed!
.
=====================

Monday, August 2, 2010

FUNNY SPORTS QUOTES \ Source: en.wikipedia.org


Image: nytimes.com
.
BOXING QUOTES \ HUMOR
Web site presents quotes by ex-heavyweight champion Floyd Patterson
.
Boxing humor:
.
In the November 21, 1962 episode of The Dick van Dyke Show "The Night the Roof Fell In", Rob Petrie is explaining to his son Richie that when parents are arguing, it is a "discussion" rather than a "fight":
.
Rob: The difference between a fight and a discussion is uh, well, now you've seen boxers in the ring hitting each other? Now that's a fight!
.
Richie: You mean like Floyd Patterson and Sonny Liston?
.
Rob: Well, a lot of people thought that was more of a discussion.
.
Quotes by Patterson:
.
"It's easy to do anything in victory. It's in defeat that a man reveals himself."
.
"They said I was the fighter who got knocked down the most, but I also got up the most."
.
"When you have millions of dollars, you have millions of friends."
.
On boxing: "It's like being in love with a woman. She can be unfaithful, she can be mean, she can be cruel, but it doesn't matter. If you love her, you want her, even though she can do you all kinds of harm. It's the same with me and boxing. It can do me all kinds of harm but I love it."
.
-----------
.
Editor's note:
.
The humor from the Dick Van Dyke show cited above clearly
spelled out how soundly Liston defeated Patterson in the title bout.
.
For young sports fans who may watch films of that fight, remember
that Patterson, like an earlier heavyweight titleholder, Ezzard Charles,
was actually a light heavyweight fighter who "crucified" the light
heavies, so, in fighting heavyweights like Liston he fought mainly
with his heart and paid the price for having the courage to take on
such awesome competition.
.
Because boxing fans finally recognized his championship courage and
heart, he became far more popular with boxing fans after he retired
from boxing;
.
I do recall his manager wanted Patterson to avoid selected fighters,
but Patterson had that much confidence and courage even then to
want to take on all comers!
.
He showed his manhood in the ring, as he would take on all
fighters, regardless of the odds and the opponent's fistic abilities - he
was a man in and out of the ring!
.
==================

No comments: