SPECIAL EDITORIAL NOTE FROM SPORTS_NUT, 2/26/2011
.
Welcome to the retirement edition of Funny Sports Quotes.
.
The Funny Sports Quotes blog was created in 11/2007 after I could see I could become a blogger very easily using Google's 3-step process for creating a blog online.
.
For me, like most, work is not my idea of a fun experience, so I had to choose the topic that I would most enjoy pursuing and that, for me, was finding and posting funny sports quotes for entertaining and, in some cases, educating an audience on facets of sports even the most ardent sports fans may not have been aware of.
.
At the same time, I decided to compile a database of funny sports quotes that sports fans and quote fans could visit for "one-stop" shopping, thereby helping them to avoid the need to search elsewhere for sports quotes.
.
So, from 11/2007 until 2/2011. I have compiled quotes on the Funny Sports Quotes blog and its sister blog, FSQuotes, that is accessible only from the Funny Sports Quotes blog.
.
As of 2/26/2011, I believe I have achieved my objective first set in 11/2007, which signals for me the end of my funny sports quotes database project.
.
Kindly note that I have already made the last post (SI Swimsuit) to the blog, shut off further entries to Comments, and I will shut off the email address sports.quotes@gmail.com on 03/14/2011.
.
Also note that many features previously cited on this page have been removed, so that a bare-bones FSQ remains for your future reference.
.
I do hope that my venture was successful in bringing a smile to your face or a skip to your step, since that was all FSQ was created for, your entertainment and pleasure.
.
In closing, I wish you and yours, Godspeed!
.
=====================

Wednesday, July 9, 2008

FUNNY SPORTS QUOTES \ Source: bleacherreport.com


Image: homepage.mac.com

HOCKEY QUOTES

.
Top 10.
.
1972 Summit Series Canada-Russia:
Arriving in their Hotel in Russia, the Canadian team was convinced that their room had been bugged.
"We searched the room for microphones, said Phil Esposito.
"In the center of the room, we have found a funny-looking metal embedded in the floor. We figured we had found the bug. We dug it out and heard a crash beneath us. We had released the anchor to the chandelier in the ceiling below."
.
Wayne Gretzky's mother and her curtains:
Walter Gretzky (father) always wanted to save money for hockey equipments and such. Once, his mother said that she needed a new pair of curtains.
Wayne Gretzky remembers his Father saying "Hang a couple of sheets up. We gotta get Wayne a new pair of skates."
.
Don Cherry vs. Phil Esposito:
Phil Esposito was called into the office of Boston Bruins' Don Cherry. The coach announced that Esposito was going to be traded to another team.
Esposito replied "Okay, but if you say New York Rangers, I am going to jump out that window."
Then, Don Cherry looked at his assistant, "Bobby, open the window."

.
Don Cherry: Be careful what you wish for:
Don Cherry, "When I was a kid, I used to pray the Lord to make me a Hockey player. But I forgot to mention the NHL, so I spent 16 years in the minors!"

.
Bobby Orr and his "thinking":
Orr was once asked why did he have a protective cup, but not a helmet.
Orr's response: "I can always get someone else to do my thinking for me!"

.
Bill Houlder vs. Mario Lemieux:
As a rookie defense-man, Houlder saw Mario Lemieux on a one-on-one against him.
"I kept seeing his arms going back and forth, moving the puck down by my feet.
I was thinking, 'That puck's got to be right down there...When I finally looked down, my feet were weaving so badly that I fell flat on my backside"
However, Lemieux did not score since Houlder fell right on the puck! Later, Lemieux came to him, "Sorry about that kid".
Houdler's response: "That's all right. I don't think you'll have to worry about seeing me out there too much more tonight."
.
Is Gary Bettman really the man for the job?
When he has been assigned as a commissioner for the NHL, his former NBA colleagues were worrying that Bettman would not have enough Hockey experience for the job.
Orlando Magic Pat Williams once joked: "I gave Gary a Hockey puck once, and he spent the rest of the day trying to open it!"

.
The Stanley Cup being mistreated!
The Montreal Canadiens (1993 edition) and the Pittsburgh Penguins (1991 edition) had the idea of putting the puck in Mario Lemieux and Patrick Roy's respective pool. The diagnosis: "The cup does not float", answers Guy Carbonneau.
That is apparently how Dominik Hasek had his days with the cup cut short for trying to do the same.
.
Wayne Cashman's celebrations:
After the Boston Bruins won the Cup in 1970, there were citywide celebrations. Wayne Cashman felt like he would be needed to help at an intersection, which however turned out worse, gathering even more traffic.
When the police arrived, Cashman refused to leave his post, feeling unappreciated. Cashman was eventually arrested that night.
.
A little embarrassing moment:
Dave Hanson vs. Bobby Hull in the WHA. "In the middle of the melee we both stopped," recalled Hanson. "I look up and Bobby does not look the same as when we started. I look at my hand and I had just pulled off his toupee!"
"I was a bit shocked. I threw it on the ice."

No comments: