SPECIAL EDITORIAL NOTE FROM SPORTS_NUT, 2/26/2011
.
Welcome to the retirement edition of Funny Sports Quotes.
.
The Funny Sports Quotes blog was created in 11/2007 after I could see I could become a blogger very easily using Google's 3-step process for creating a blog online.
.
For me, like most, work is not my idea of a fun experience, so I had to choose the topic that I would most enjoy pursuing and that, for me, was finding and posting funny sports quotes for entertaining and, in some cases, educating an audience on facets of sports even the most ardent sports fans may not have been aware of.
.
At the same time, I decided to compile a database of funny sports quotes that sports fans and quote fans could visit for "one-stop" shopping, thereby helping them to avoid the need to search elsewhere for sports quotes.
.
So, from 11/2007 until 2/2011. I have compiled quotes on the Funny Sports Quotes blog and its sister blog, FSQuotes, that is accessible only from the Funny Sports Quotes blog.
.
As of 2/26/2011, I believe I have achieved my objective first set in 11/2007, which signals for me the end of my funny sports quotes database project.
.
Kindly note that I have already made the last post (SI Swimsuit) to the blog, shut off further entries to Comments, and I will shut off the email address sports.quotes@gmail.com on 03/14/2011.
.
Also note that many features previously cited on this page have been removed, so that a bare-bones FSQ remains for your future reference.
.
I do hope that my venture was successful in bringing a smile to your face or a skip to your step, since that was all FSQ was created for, your entertainment and pleasure.
.
In closing, I wish you and yours, Godspeed!
.
=====================

Sunday, June 22, 2008

FUNNY SPORTS QUOTES \ Source: nbcolympics.com

BEIJING OLYMPICS QUOTES
.
Below are some quotes of note from around the Olympic Games. 2008:
.
"It's the Olympics. If you can't get up to swim in the morning, don't go." -- Swimmer Michael Phelps, on finals being scheduled for the morning, Beijing time.
.
"At first, I couldn't stop touching (my jersey). I was like, 'Oh, my gosh! Is this mine? Are you sure it's real? The USA isn't going to fade into my sports bra, is it?' I still kind of look down and ask, 'Are you sure I'm supposed to have this?'"-- Softball player Monica Abbott, on wearing the U.S. national jersey for the first time.
.
"Wow, I have the most humongous playground all to myself."-- Gymnast Nastia Liukin, recalling what she thought when her parents brought her to the gym they were building.
.
"It's very awkward and weird. I train six to eight hours a day to be the best athlete that I can be for my team and my country, and then people want to talk about my looks...I don't feel like a celebrity. I'm still just a little dork.-- Softball player Jennie Finch, on her off-field fame.
.
"I was famous when I was 19-years-old and had to decide earlier than most what my values were. From my experiences growing up, I learned about the type of person I wanted to be and the message I wanted to send as a well-known person. Of course I think about these things with the companies I work with. I want to be able to stand up for them knowing that I'm being true to myself and my morals."-- Swedish track and field athlete Carolina Kluft, on determining her values and beliefs.
.
"I would compare myself to those sprinters that do a lot of chest pumping or yelling, who are pretty intense or get pretty hyped. I would consider myself exactly like them, except I keep it all inside instead. I'm nervous before the race but I'm like a quiet hyped person. I don't really let it out or say explode until the gun is shot and that's when I really want to show all my excitement. But during the race, I kind of keep it all to myself."-- Sprinter Tyson Gay, on bottling his emotions until the start of a race.
.
"I think with her own family she's competitive, everybody. Like if she was racing for an ice cream cone with a little kid, she'd probably push the kid out of the way."-- Beach volleyball player Misty May-Treanor, on her teammate Kerri Walsh.
.
"You lose her, you're dead." -- Gymnast Shawn Johnson's mother, Teri, on what she told coach Liang Chow before he took Shawn on her first international trip.
.
"I would say (New York Mets shortstop) Jose Reyes. He's fast, he's agile, he's quick and he's not that tall -- he's maybe our height. Maybe he's six foot, and that's perfect height. That's the type of athlete that would be great in badminton."-- Badminton player Bob Malaythong, on what pro athlete would make a great badminton player.
.
"I've got respect for the game."-- Basketball player Michael Redd, on why he doesn't call table tennis, "ping pong."
.
"My wife was the biggest proponent, saying, 'It's a great opportunity. They're not going to ask you for 2012, that's for damn sure.'"-- Volleyball player Lloy Ball, on competing in his fourth Olympics.
.
"Stubborn? She's the one who's stubborn. Talk about a person who -- you just got me going. Talk about a person who's never wrong. There's not many things that get me mad but she's a neat freak, everything has to be in order. On the court she's kinda the same, she's never wrong. She's never caused a turnover in her life. Yesterday in the game she threw me a pass, a terrible pass, let me tell you. The girl intercepted it and she looked at me like I was crazy. I'm like 'What do you want me to do?'"-- Basketball player Diana Taurasi, about teammate Sue Bird in response to Bird calling Taurasi stubborn in another interview.
.
"I call him Captain Pokey, because he loves to sail. He's a sailor and he has this shot he loves to do where he pokes it with his two knuckles."-- Beach volleyball player Mike Lambert, referring to his teammate Stein Metzger.
.
"In the middle of the 30-second breaks (between periods) -- and I think I lost quite a few first periods -- I would go back to the corner and I would just look at that guy, whoever it was I was wrestling, and it seemed like they were shrinking. I just knew I was about to tear off into him when I went back out there. That's a mental thing. The first time it happened, I was like, 'Did that dude just get smaller?' I was willing myself to make that happen. 'Oh yeah, they're shrinking. They're all getting smaller. I'm about to kill this guy. What is he, a 55-kilo over there?'"-- Greco-Roman wrestler Dremiel Byers, on psyching himself up during a match.
.
"With my little chicken legs, I broke the world junior record in the 200m, I broke Marion Jones' high school 200m record, I won the silver medal at the 2004 Olympic Games and I was World Champion in the 200m in 2005 and 2007. When I hear about being called 'Chicken Legs' now, it brings up a lot of memories. I just think back to that time in the weight room with my friends and see where I came from and what I was able to accomplish in spite of that and maybe even because of that. Now, I can kind of look back and laugh at it."-- Sprinter Allyson Felix, on embracing a nickname.
.
"In women's distance running, you don't usually see a person that's 145 pounds out there to race. Mostly you have a bunch of little 105, 110 pound girls out there. Most people my size would have stayed in soccer and basketball. For me, track and field just worked out really well."-- Track and field athlete Erin Donohue, on overcoming her size to excel in distance running.
.
===============

No comments: