SPECIAL EDITORIAL NOTE FROM SPORTS_NUT, 2/26/2011
.
Welcome to the retirement edition of Funny Sports Quotes.
.
The Funny Sports Quotes blog was created in 11/2007 after I could see I could become a blogger very easily using Google's 3-step process for creating a blog online.
.
For me, like most, work is not my idea of a fun experience, so I had to choose the topic that I would most enjoy pursuing and that, for me, was finding and posting funny sports quotes for entertaining and, in some cases, educating an audience on facets of sports even the most ardent sports fans may not have been aware of.
.
At the same time, I decided to compile a database of funny sports quotes that sports fans and quote fans could visit for "one-stop" shopping, thereby helping them to avoid the need to search elsewhere for sports quotes.
.
So, from 11/2007 until 2/2011. I have compiled quotes on the Funny Sports Quotes blog and its sister blog, FSQuotes, that is accessible only from the Funny Sports Quotes blog.
.
As of 2/26/2011, I believe I have achieved my objective first set in 11/2007, which signals for me the end of my funny sports quotes database project.
.
Kindly note that I have already made the last post (SI Swimsuit) to the blog, shut off further entries to Comments, and I will shut off the email address sports.quotes@gmail.com on 03/14/2011.
.
Also note that many features previously cited on this page have been removed, so that a bare-bones FSQ remains for your future reference.
.
I do hope that my venture was successful in bringing a smile to your face or a skip to your step, since that was all FSQ was created for, your entertainment and pleasure.
.
In closing, I wish you and yours, Godspeed!
.
=====================

Friday, July 25, 2008

FUNNY SPORTS QUOTES \ Source: forum.calgaryflames.com

Image: checkoutmycards.com
.
SPORTS TRIVIA
Funny or Unusual Player Nicknames
.
I will start off by saying that I think Sandbox is a great nickname for Yelle, because as everybody knows, he plays gritty. I also like William "Refrigerator" Perry, which I assume was given to him because he was built like a fridge....
.
Karl "The Mailman" Malone and "Phantom Joe" Malone have always been two of my favourites.
Ed "Boxcar" Hospodar was another good one.
.
I always liked the name "Oil Can" Boyd. Not very flattering for a pitcher.
.
My favorite nickname is Espen Knutsen's. He was known as Shampoo. I'm not sure why.
Apparently, it's because his father was a hairstylist.
.
Satchel Paige another good one from the Negro Leagues.
.
Edouard "Newsy" Lalonde - NHL Hall of Famer worked summers in a newspaper plant.
.
"Turk" Broda - Patch of skin under his neck allegedly looked like a turkey's wattle
.
Mike "Pinball" Clemons
.
Henry "Gizmo" Williams
.
Martin "The Great Gazoo" Gramatica
.
On the Sharks, they've got this rookie Vlasic and his name is, of course......Pickles.
.
"The Bus" Jerome Bettis
.
"Air" Don Coryell
.
'Russian Rocket', always liked that and 'the Finnish Flash'.
Oh, and how has no one mentioned 'the great one'?
.
The problem with "The Next One" is how often it is used. Eric Lindros had it for a while, now Sidney Crosby has it. I'm sure there were others in there, too.
.
One-Punch Bertuzzi?
.
Jim "Catfish" Hunter, formerly of the Yankees and Athletics.
.
Most ironic nickname......Stu "the Grim Reaper" Grimson.
I prefered to think of him as something along the lines of Stu "hit their fist with his chin" Grimson.
.
Karl "The Mailman" Malone
I have a funny story that somewhat relates. When I went to Salt Lake City for a North American All Star Hockey Tournament, the team decided to catch a Jazz game. Well some of the guys on the team didn't know/care about NBA, so they just decided to cheer for the visiting Kings. Malone ended up getting the Ball under the basket and attempt an easy lay up but missed, and just as the entire stadium went quiet, one of our players yells out, "the Mailman can't Deliver!" I couldn't believe the amount of people that turned their heads, all at the same time to see the idiot you just yelled that out. Needless to say we never saw the end of the game.
.
I like Elroy "Crazy Legs" Hirsch, "Sweetness" (Walter Payton), and absolutely hate, "He Hate Me" if you call it a nickname.
.
Swervin' Mervin Fernandez!
.
Marian "Glass Groin" Gaborik.wouldn't that be Hasek?
.
It would.. but he already has the "Dominator"
.
My favorite one for a goalie is definitely Andre "Red Light" Racicot!
.
He was given his nickname by the owner of another great nickname, Don "Grapes" Cherry, back in 1993.
.
Reggie "Let Em In" Lemelin Fleury
.
Steamin' Willy Beamin
.
(Andre) 'Bad Moon' Rison.
.
Monty_The_English_Flame
.
"The Arnprior Assassin" Clouthier
.
Turtle Man-Milt Stegall
.
Darryl "Chocolate Thunder" Dawkins
.
Christian "The Nigerian Nightmare" Okoye
.
"Penis the Small" - Eric Nicholson, Canadian
.
There is a professional footballer in England whose name is Fitz Hall and his nickname?
"Onesize" because Onesize Fitz Hall!
.
A great sport for nicknames is darts, some obese bloke throwing arrows at a target is known as The Power or The Warrior, brilliant!
You may wonder what im doing watching darts but any sport where you go to watch it live and just drink ridiculous amounts of beer and not care who's playing or what's going on is ok by me!
.
EDDIE "THE EAGLE" BELFOUR
and GIGI for Gianluigi Buffon--greatest soccer goalie of all time
.
I have always liked Maurice "The Rocket" Richard
.
I like the pocket rocket.....the rocket's smaller brother
.
The ROADRUNNER - Yvan Cournoyer
.
Ever been to the hockey hall of fame? Old time nicknames are something.
The Chicoutimi Cucumber?
Gump Worsley?
Old Bootnose - Syd Abel?
.
My personal favourite is "The Rat", or The Answer if you count all sports.
Pudge Rodriguez is pretty funny though.
.
Felix "The Cat" Potvin
Olaf "Godzilla" Kolzig
Curtis "Cujo"
Joseph"Iron Mike" Keenan
John "Beezer" Vanbiesbrouk
Don "Bobo" Beaupre
"Saint" Patrick Roy
"Goose" GosselinDan
"Clucker" Cloutier
=========================

No comments: