SPECIAL EDITORIAL NOTE FROM SPORTS_NUT, 2/26/2011
.
Welcome to the retirement edition of Funny Sports Quotes.
.
The Funny Sports Quotes blog was created in 11/2007 after I could see I could become a blogger very easily using Google's 3-step process for creating a blog online.
.
For me, like most, work is not my idea of a fun experience, so I had to choose the topic that I would most enjoy pursuing and that, for me, was finding and posting funny sports quotes for entertaining and, in some cases, educating an audience on facets of sports even the most ardent sports fans may not have been aware of.
.
At the same time, I decided to compile a database of funny sports quotes that sports fans and quote fans could visit for "one-stop" shopping, thereby helping them to avoid the need to search elsewhere for sports quotes.
.
So, from 11/2007 until 2/2011. I have compiled quotes on the Funny Sports Quotes blog and its sister blog, FSQuotes, that is accessible only from the Funny Sports Quotes blog.
.
As of 2/26/2011, I believe I have achieved my objective first set in 11/2007, which signals for me the end of my funny sports quotes database project.
.
Kindly note that I have already made the last post (SI Swimsuit) to the blog, shut off further entries to Comments, and I will shut off the email address sports.quotes@gmail.com on 03/14/2011.
.
Also note that many features previously cited on this page have been removed, so that a bare-bones FSQ remains for your future reference.
.
I do hope that my venture was successful in bringing a smile to your face or a skip to your step, since that was all FSQ was created for, your entertainment and pleasure.
.
In closing, I wish you and yours, Godspeed!
.
=====================

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

FUNNY SPORTS QUOTES \ Source: reuters.com

Image: comicsarchives.org
.
OLYMPICS SPORTS QUOTES
.
BEIJING (Reuters) - Michael Phelps became only the fifth person to win a record nine Olympic golds when he powered to victory in the 200 meters freestyle swimming on Tuesday.
.
The previous four, whose mark may fall to Phelps on Wednesday, were:
.
1. Paavo Nurmi (Finland)
The Flying Finn's tally is all the more striking because his wins came in endurance running, specializing in the 1,500 and 10,000 meter races -- and almost everything in between -- from 1920 to 1928. His gold haul might have been higher but his Olympic career was cut short after he was charged with being a professional.
.
2. Larysa Latynina (Soviet Union/Ukraine)
The glamorous Ukrainian gymnast was strong in every discipline, taking gold in the All-Around event twice and leading the Soviets to victory in the team event three times. She netted six medals in each of her three Olympics -- 1956, 1960 and 1964 -- giving her the most medals of any athlete at 18. She went on to coach the Soviet gymnasts from 1967 to 1977.
.
3. Mark Spitz (United States)
The U.S. swimmer had predicted before the 1968 Olympics that we would win six golds. He took only two but more than redeemed himself in 1972. Spitz claimed seven golds -- the most in one Olympics for any athlete and set world records with each. Against conventional swimming practice, he set that mark unshaven, wearing a bushy moustache.
.
4. Carl Lewis (United States)
King Carl reigned over the long jump in four straight Games from 1984 to 1996 and also won the 100 meters race twice, taking the 1988 title after Canada's Ben Johnson was disqualified for doping. But drug allegations have tarnished his record. His own lawyer argued that Lewis took banned substances -- but only inadvertently in the form of over-the-counter herbal medicine.
========================

No comments: