SPECIAL EDITORIAL NOTE FROM SPORTS_NUT, 2/26/2011
.
Welcome to the retirement edition of Funny Sports Quotes.
.
The Funny Sports Quotes blog was created in 11/2007 after I could see I could become a blogger very easily using Google's 3-step process for creating a blog online.
.
For me, like most, work is not my idea of a fun experience, so I had to choose the topic that I would most enjoy pursuing and that, for me, was finding and posting funny sports quotes for entertaining and, in some cases, educating an audience on facets of sports even the most ardent sports fans may not have been aware of.
.
At the same time, I decided to compile a database of funny sports quotes that sports fans and quote fans could visit for "one-stop" shopping, thereby helping them to avoid the need to search elsewhere for sports quotes.
.
So, from 11/2007 until 2/2011. I have compiled quotes on the Funny Sports Quotes blog and its sister blog, FSQuotes, that is accessible only from the Funny Sports Quotes blog.
.
As of 2/26/2011, I believe I have achieved my objective first set in 11/2007, which signals for me the end of my funny sports quotes database project.
.
Kindly note that I have already made the last post (SI Swimsuit) to the blog, shut off further entries to Comments, and I will shut off the email address sports.quotes@gmail.com on 03/14/2011.
.
Also note that many features previously cited on this page have been removed, so that a bare-bones FSQ remains for your future reference.
.
I do hope that my venture was successful in bringing a smile to your face or a skip to your step, since that was all FSQ was created for, your entertainment and pleasure.
.
In closing, I wish you and yours, Godspeed!
.
=====================

Sunday, June 29, 2008

FUNNY SPORTS QUOTES \ Source: espn.go.com

Image: mlb.imageg.net
.
Martin's maxims

Baseball Quotes by Billy Martin

"I don't think so because I've got the reputation for being baseball's bad boy and I don't deserve it. But I think I'd make a good manager. For one thing, I know how to handle men. That's the secret of managing. For another, I know enough about the game, not fundamentals, but executing. I think I could get the most out of players with common sense and psychology. I'm fiery enough that I'd have their respect. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll ever get the chance and there's nothing in the world that can change that."--On his chances of ever managing, quoted in Baseball Digest, June 1961

"I believe if God had ever managed, he would have been very aggressive, the way I manage."--As A's manager, quoted in Sports Illustrated, March 30, 1981.

"I've always said I could manage Adolf Hitler, Benito Mussolini and Hirohito. That doesn't mean I'd like them, but I'd manage them." --As Yankee manager, widely quoted

"Everything looks nicer when you win. The girls are prettier. The cigars taste better. Thre trees are greener."--As Yankee manager, Quoted in the Los Angeles Times, Sept. 17, 1975

"I get fired because I'm not a yes-man. The world's full of yes men. The first year that I became manager, 1969, with the Twins, I won a division championship. And got fired. The Tigers hired me. I had made $35,000 and the Tigers gave me a big raise. I won another division title and got fired again. Texas hired me, and with a bigger raise. I came in second, and got fired. The Yankees hired me, and tripled my salary. When I got fired there, and Oakland hired me--they gave me an unbelievable raise. I've got a long-term contract now, but if I get fired again, I might run for President."--As manager of the A's, quoted in a New York Times interview, July 15, 1982

"All I know is, I pass people on the street these days, and they don't know whether to say hello or to say good-bye."--As Yankee manager, widely quoted

"The only real way to know you've been fired is when you arrive at the ballpark and find your name has been scratched from the parking list."--widely quoted

"Sometimes I would do just the opposite of what George wanted me to do, because I won't let anyone tell me how to manage. If I'm going down the tube, I'm going to do it my way."--from Number 1

"The two of them deserve each other. One's a born liar, the other's convicted."--On Reggie Jackson and George Steinbrenner, widely quoted

"What does George know about Yankee pride? When did he ever play for the Yankees?"--On Steinbrenner, from Number 1

"I'm getting smarter, I finally punched something that couldn't sue me."--As A's manager on breaking his finger after punching a piece of furniture, quoted in Sports Illustrated, September 6, 1982



No comments: