SPECIAL EDITORIAL NOTE FROM SPORTS_NUT, 2/26/2011
.
Welcome to the retirement edition of Funny Sports Quotes.
.
The Funny Sports Quotes blog was created in 11/2007 after I could see I could become a blogger very easily using Google's 3-step process for creating a blog online.
.
For me, like most, work is not my idea of a fun experience, so I had to choose the topic that I would most enjoy pursuing and that, for me, was finding and posting funny sports quotes for entertaining and, in some cases, educating an audience on facets of sports even the most ardent sports fans may not have been aware of.
.
At the same time, I decided to compile a database of funny sports quotes that sports fans and quote fans could visit for "one-stop" shopping, thereby helping them to avoid the need to search elsewhere for sports quotes.
.
So, from 11/2007 until 2/2011. I have compiled quotes on the Funny Sports Quotes blog and its sister blog, FSQuotes, that is accessible only from the Funny Sports Quotes blog.
.
As of 2/26/2011, I believe I have achieved my objective first set in 11/2007, which signals for me the end of my funny sports quotes database project.
.
Kindly note that I have already made the last post (SI Swimsuit) to the blog, shut off further entries to Comments, and I will shut off the email address sports.quotes@gmail.com on 03/14/2011.
.
Also note that many features previously cited on this page have been removed, so that a bare-bones FSQ remains for your future reference.
.
I do hope that my venture was successful in bringing a smile to your face or a skip to your step, since that was all FSQ was created for, your entertainment and pleasure.
.
In closing, I wish you and yours, Godspeed!
.
=====================

Sunday, June 29, 2008

FUNNY SPORTS QUOTES \ Source: guardian.co.uk

VENUS WILLIAMS SETS RECORD AT WIMBLEDON

(127 mph serve by a female player)

Image: tenniswelcomecenter.com

TENNIS QUOTES

A week at Wimbledon in quotes

Reuters, Sunday LONDON, June 29 (Reuters) - The best quotes from week one of the Wimbledon championships:*

"I have a wonderful white coat I can wear on the court and also in New York for those rainy days...it's ladylike and goes perfect with my personality" -- Serena Williams after she turned up for her first-round match wearing a coat on a sunny day.

*"I absolutely love trench coats. I probably have more coats than anybody. I just love coats. I don't know why because I live in Florida" -- Williams and her coat again.

"It's the tuxedo look. I was very inspired by menswear this year and every time at Wimbledon I want to do something classy and elegant. This year I said: 'Why don't we do shorts?' and I have never worn shorts before at a grand slam. There is a place to do it and that's Wimbledon" -- Sharapova explains her latest outfit. It was seen only twice as the Russian was knocked out in the second round.

*"I drive a Vauxhall Astra with duct tape on one wing mirror" -- Britain's man of the moment Chris Eaton paints a picture of life before Court One stardom at the All England Club.

*"I personally don't care but I think any attention drawn to tennis for whatever reason is good. If that means wearing the Mr Roger sweater, whatever else you got, then so be it. I don't know if it would be a good look for me or any of my friends or relatives" -- Andy Roddick on Federer's latest Wimbledon look -- a 1920s-style cream, gold-trimmed cardigan.

*"I'll rest a little bit. Without the racket. I'll leave the rackets at home and go somewhere many miles away" -- third seed Novak Djokovic looks for the nearest exit following his second-round loss to Russia's Marat Safin.

*"As far as fun nicknames, headlines and whatever, I don't really care. Everyone's beatable. I've beaten the three of them. But if you're asking if it pisses me off at all, I don't really care. I just want to win tennis matches" -- Roddick, when asked whether he had heard of references to the 'big three' of Federer, Rafael Nadal and Djokovic. 'A-Rod' went out in the next round.

*"You know, when you've seen the Rolling Stones from the front row and then all of a sudden you're like seven or eight rows back and there's a really tall guy in front of you waving his hands and screaming, you can't see much, it's not going to be as good as the other show" -- Roddick remembers better times following his second-round defeat to Janko 'Tipsy' Tisparevic.

*"It's very pleasant to beat Maria... Why? Well, I don't like her outfit" -- Alla Kudryavtseva explains what spurred her to her shock victory over Sharapova.

*"Everybody can present a challenge. Everybody has a lot of strength. Everybody is hungry. This girl that beat me today, she might not win the tournament but she beat me and it probably made her tournament" -- Sharapova reflects on her shock early exit.

*"It's guys. They always say the women's game is predictable. They always say you women can't serve, you don't go to the net, you can't slice. No, we can do it all. We're strong. Don't listen to them" -- Kudryavtseva speaks up for her sex.

*"Coming from clay, it's a completely different mentality you have to going out on court. Because on clay, if you are struggling a little bit, you still have time to get into the game. Here everything is happening so fast" -- Ana Ivanovic, whose defeat to Zheng Jie was the earliest exit by a top seed since Martina Hingis lost in the opening round in 2001.

*"You're calling me a veteran? I'm a veteran at 23 years old? Thanks for making me feel very old" -- Jelena Jankovic after her victory over 17-year-old Caroline Wozniacki.

*"I know his sense of humour a little bit. I know he kind of talks like that a little bit. So I can cut him some slack" -- Czech Nicole Vaidisova on newly-elected ATP board member Justin Gimelstob who had to make a public apology for a series of offensive remarks about female players which included describing Vaidisova as a "well-developed young lady".

No comments: